New Car Collection.
New Car Collection? A Checklist from us.
Picking up a new or used car from a dealership is an exciting day but to avoid any last-minute hitches we have put together a checklist that might help you.
- Pick a suitable date and perhaps arrange to take someone else along to enjoy the experience or provide a second pair of eyes for the inspection. Manufacturers like McLaren and Aston Martin also offer factory handovers with full VIP treatment.
- Be ready to pay the final balance by electronic bank transfer or a card, alternatively ensure your finance company will remit the funds perhaps the day before
- Make sure you have insurance in place, the dealership will not let you drive away without this. Elevate can help you just drop us a What’s App here and we will call you back.
- Remember your driver’s licence and any documentation that was previously provided to you for the purchase of the vehicle (e.g. deposit receipt)
Paperwork at the Dealership
- Review the final invoice, an HPI check, the stamped servicing record, the current MOT certificate, warranty and finance documents, check the existing V5C match the vehicle (if it’s a used car), receipt for the purchase/contract of sale
- Check the is car taxed and in your name as tax is not transferable
- Is breakdown cover provided with the car or do you need to arrange or is breakdown part of your insurance?
- Make sure you understand the warranty and you get the documentation
- Show a proof of insurance, we can email this to you or send a copy directly to the dealership
- Tracker ADR key fobs and subscription details – Ask what tracker is installed and who provides the subscription for it
Inspecting the car
- If it is dark or wet, it’s difficult to see bodywork problems, therefore in bad weather arrange an inspection indoors and in good light;
- Carefully check all body panels, windows and corners, even new cars can have accidents in transit
- Check the interior; the fabrics, the dashboard, handles, switches, audio system. Look for any signs of leaks eg. damp areas,
- Review key functions such as lights, switches, car alarm, fuel cap, bonnet & boot releases, mirror adjusters, the locking wheel nut key, spare wheel if there is one
- Make sure any accessories that should be included are present
- A full tank may be provided and is an electric car fully charged?
- If it is a plug-in vehicle or fully electric ensure you understand how to charge it at home or on the road
- Ensure you get all the copies of keys/key fobs and check they work
- Before driving away be comfortable with the car’s controls and check there a handbook
- Don’t be shy, if you not happy about something it be clear before you leave and perhaps write/email after the handover confirming any open points.
Insure Today for a Better Tomorrow.
If you’d like to talk to a human, call us on 01933 830400 during 9 am - 5 pm weekdays.